– Plastic or paper plate
– Plastic or paper cup
– Plastic or paper straw
– Pencil with an eraser
– Cardboard/construction paper
– A sewing pin
– Crafting clay/silly putty/play-doh
– glue (optional)
- Cut out cardboard/construction paper into 1 triangle and 1 square (see video for size).
- Cut 2 little slits in each side of the straw and stick cardboard in the straw.
- With someone’s help, cut a hole in the bottom of the cup big enough for the pencil to go in.
- Draw directions on the plate.
- Place the clay in the middle of the plate.
- Put the pencil in the hole of the cup, and place the pointy part of the pencil in the clay.
- Take the pin and stick it through the middle of the straw. Place the pin in the eraser.
- This step is optional, but it may be helpful to glue the cup to the plate so the wind doesn’t move it around.
Do you have suggestions or topics you would like to see covered in a Weather For Kids segment? Let us know. Email us at mailto:email@example.com