OSU has not lost a season opener since 1999 and the Buckeyes have now won 28 games in a row against the Hoosiers, the most consecutive wins against one team in the entire country.
McCord went 20-for-33 for 239 yards, one interception and no touchdowns. Cade Stover led all receivers with 98 yards on five catches while Chip Trayanum led all rushers with 57 yards. Miyan Williams scored twice for the Buckeyes in the win.
“I thought there were some good things, but we’ve got to play better situational football. We’ve got to finish in the red zone, we’ve got to finish in short yardage and we’ve got to do a better job on third down,” coach Ryan Day said. “I thought our defense played really well and so I’m excited about that.”
Live updates from Ohio State’s win.
- Ohio State forces a three and out on the opening drive after a nice open-field tackle by Steele Chambers
- McCord completes a 10-yard pass to Gee Scott on 4th and 2 to the Indiana 24-yard line
- Chip Trayanum runs 17 yards on his first carry of the season to the 7-yard line
- Miyan Williams runs seven yards for Ohio State’s first TD of the 2023 season. 7-0 Buckeyes
- End 1st Quarter: 7-0 Ohio State. Buckeyes’ defense forced three punts in the first quarter
- McCord is intercepted trying to throw across his body on 4th and 2 at the Indiana 29-yard line
- Indiana’s Chris Freeman makes a 42-yard field goal that hit off the post and bounced through the uprights
- Devin Brown is in a quarterback for Ohio State
- The Buckeyes go three and out in Brown’s first drive on three run plays
- Ohio State is 1-for-5 on third down conversions
- Ohio State forces a turnover on downs on 4th and 4 with 38 seconds left in the first half from the Ohio State 40-yard line. Josh Proctor was there to break up the pass
- Kyle McCord is back in at quarterback
- McCord completes a 24-yard pass to tight end Cade Stover but the drive stalls just outside the red zone
- Jayden Fielding’s 40-yard field goal is good. Ohio State leads 10-3
- Halftime: Ohio State 10 Indiana 3
- Ohio State and Indiana both go three and out to start the second helf
- Ohio State goes 76 yards down the field including 52 yards through the air, but McCord went the wrong way on a QB keeper on 3rd and goal for no gain.
- Ohio State is 1-for-8 on third-down conversions
- Fielding adds his second field goal on a 22-yard attempt. 13-3 Ohio State
- Ohio State drives 88 yards on 6 plays capped off by a two-yard TD run from Miyan Williams
- The TD drive included a 49-yard completion to Stover and 36 yards rushing for Chip Trayanum
- End 3rd Quarter: Ohio State 20 Indiana 3
- Ohio State forces another turnover on downs. Defensive tackle Jaden McKenzie records his first-career sack and Jordan Hancock broke up a pass on 4th down
- McCord hits Williams for a 12-yard gain on 4th and 9 inside the red zone
- Jayden Fielding hits his third field goal of the game. Ohio State leads 23-3
- Final: Ohio State 23 Indiana 3