Note: To watch the full game, scroll to the bottom of this story.

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – The inclement weather delayed the eventual outcome as it had been 3,590 days since Ursuline defeated Steubenville. That long drought ended at Stambaugh Stadium as Ursuline topped the Big Red, 36-28, in a battle between two of the most recognizable programs in the state.

Jack Ericson, the Fighting Irish quarterback, tossed 4 touchdowns – two to Devonte Taylor and a pair to Tairan Davis.

Ursuline scored on the game’s opening drive on a Christian Lynch 13-yard touchdown run. The Irish compiled 4 first downs during their 10 play, 80-yard jaunt. Jack Ericson moved the sticks on a 41-yard pass play to DC Ferrell and a fourth-down toss to CJ Leombruno inside the red zone.

Back came the Big Red, Elijah Mullins dove in from 2-yards away to cut the deficit to 8-6 following a failed two-point conversion attempt with 4:42 remaining in the first quarter.

Ericson connected with Tairan Davis twice on a pair of pass plays to set up the Fighting Irish inside of the 5-yard line. From there, it was Davis who ran a slant route as he hauled in a 4-yard touchdown from Ericson to give Ursuline a 15-6 lead late in the first quarter.

After stopping Steubenville on downs deep inside the Irish territory, Ursuline’s Davis made a catch from Ericson as he made a couple of Big Red defenders miss and down the sidelines he went 84-yards to extend the lead to 22-6.

Following a Big Red turnover, Ericson threw for the end zone on the first play from scrimmage and found Devonte Taylor from 19-yards out for the score to take a 29-6 advantage.

The Big Red scored quickly on a Savier Faulks’ 9-yard touchdown run. The score was set up by Issac Hill’s reception that placed the ball inside of the Ursuline 10-yard line.

Ursuline recovered a fumble on Steubenville’s second half kickoff return. Ericson made quick work of the Irish opportunity as he found Taylor on a 9-yard touchdown toss to give Ursuline a 36-12 lead.

After the Fighting Irish stopped the Big Red on downs, Ericson was picked off by Elijah Mullins and No. 25 brought it back 65-yards all the way to the other end zone. Kyleigh Hopkins ran in the two-point conversion on a misdirection play to cut Ursuline’s advantage to 36-20.

On Ursuline’s next offensive possession, the Irish fumbled the ball and Mullins was there to scoop it up to give the Big Red another opportunity to get back into the game.

On the second play of the fourth quarter, Steubenville had the ball on the Irish 10-yard line when Aydan Manning was intercepted by John Frangos at the goal line to hand the ball over to the Ursuline offense.

Next time, Steubenville had the ball with just over 7 minutes to play. Manning was once again intercepted – this time by CJ Frasco on the Big Red side of the field.

After a long weather delay, Steubenville came out with a 2-yard touchdown run by Mullins to cut into the Ursuline lead (36-28).

The Irish posted a defensive stand to secure the victory.

Next up for Ursuline is a road trip to Padua Franciscan while Steubenville opens their home schedule versus New Philadelphia.

Scoring Chart
Ursuline, 36-28 (Final)
First Quarter
U – Christian Lynch, 13-yard TD run (Lynch run), 9:08
S – Elijah Mullins, 2-yard TD run (run failed), 4:42
U – Tairan Davis, 4-yard TD catch from Jack Ericson (Tabak kick), 1:24
Second Quarter
U – Davis, 84-yard TD catch from Ericson (Tabak kick), 4:23
U – Devonte Taylor, 19-yard TD catch from Ericson (Tabek kick), 3:10
S – Savier Faulks, 9-yard TD run (kick failed), 1:32
Third Quarter
U – Taylor, 9-yard TD catch from Ericson (Tabek kick), 10:40
S – Mullins, 65-yard INT return (Kyleigh Hopkins run), 7:09
Fourth Quarter
S – Mullins, 2-yard TD run (run successful), 1:58