Suspect shot, killed by officer during robbery of north Columbus Bob Evans


The manager of the Bob Evans was taken to the hospital with minor injuries

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Columbus police said an armed suspect attempting to rob a Bob Evans was shot and killed by officers. 

According to the Columbus Division of Police, just after 7:30 a.m. Saturday, a man wearing a mask entered the Bob Evans located in the 1400 block of Olentangy River Road and demanded money from the manager in the back office.

A witness inside the restaurant at the time who did not wish to be on camera said in a written statement he saw the suspect come in through the front doors wearing a mask with his hands in his pockets.

Police said the manager attempted to comply with the suspect’s demands but was assaulted by the suspect after having trouble getting money from the safe. 

After several minutes of attempting to get money from the safe, the suspect ran without any money from the restaurant through a back door, where he was confronted by officers who had arrived on the scene, according to police.  

The witness goes on to write about some of the tense moments inside the restaurant Saturday morning:

“(The suspect) went straight behind the counter and grabbed the manager, showed her his weapon and started escorting her back to the office. We immediately grabbed our phones and dialed 911. The employees came running out of the kitchen saying, ‘He has a gun.’ We escorted them to the side door and got them outside.”

A Columbus Division of Police spokesperson said one of the responding officers fired multiple shots at the suspect and took him into custody immediately after.

The suspect was taken to Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center where he was pronounced dead from his injuries at approximately 9 a.m.  

The manager of the Bob Evans was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and later released.

Police said the officer involved in the shooting is a 15-year veteran of the force. He has been placed on administrative leave, as is the department’s protocol.

No officers were injured. Police continue to investigate.

The suspect’s name has not been released.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on