KENT, Ohio (WKBN) – Kent State University made the list of the top LGBTQ-friendly universities in the United States, according to Campus Pride.
This is the first time the university has landed on the list as one of 40 institutions recognized over six U.S. regions.
Kent State is the only school in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) and in Northeast Ohio to receive the honor.
The “2020 Best of the Best College and University” list is based on information provided on an annual basis, through the Campus Pride Index, relating to policies, programs and practice.
“Accomplishments such as incorporating trans-inclusive healthcare for faculty and staff, a preferred name policy and integrating universal restrooms are what put us over the top,” said Ken Ditlevson, director of Kent State’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Plus (LGBTQ+) Center. “The fact that Kent State is in the top 40 is a major accomplishment and something I am really proud of.”
For more information about Kent State’s LGBTQ+ Center, visit www.kent.edu/lgbtq.
More headlines from WKBN.com:
- Shipping snags prompt US companies to mull retreat from China
- Many neighborly disputes can now be settled outside of court
- Moderna sets timetable for COVID-19 vaccine booster
- Rolling Stones band member likely to miss upcoming tour
- Dollar General folding chairs recalled after reports of amputated fingers