SEATTLE (CNN Newsource) – A Seattle pet owner is warning others to watch their pets closely. She said her puppy ate marijuana while at a popular park, causing a dangerous reaction in the 5-month-old pet.
The moment Cindy Koutnik met her dog, Beddy, it was love at first sight.
“I just wanted a small dog that I can take places and be my buddy, and that’s what a Cavalier is,” she said.
Sunday afternoon, the two were out on a walk around Green Lake when Beddy started to slow way down. As soon as Cindy picked her up, Beddy collapsed in her arms.
“Just went limp and I went, ‘Oh my god, this isn’t good.'”
They rushed back home, where Beddy started having tremors. Her head was jerking around and her eyes rolled back in her head.
That’s when Cindy knew she needed to take her to an animal hospital.
“When the vet called me in about an hour-and-a-half later, she said, ‘Beddy’s going to be OK.’ She said, ‘She’s resting,’ but she said she ingested marijuana. And I’m like, ‘What?'”
Vets say Beddy’s health scare happens more than you might think, especially in the legal era of edibles.
As soon as you suspect a problem, it’s important to have your pet checked out right away.
“We can induce vomiting, get that poison out of their body and then treat that toxicity. It’s very early if we catch it early enough,” said Dr. Jeb Mortimer, with Green Lake Animal Hospital.
Cindy says she’s angry knowing this is something she now has to worry about when the two are out and about.
Thankfully, Beddy is doing much better.
“I want people to be aware. People who are taking their dogs, or cats or little kids out, be careful and those people who are partaking in that, please pick up after yourself,” Cindy said.
The vet says Beddy shouldn’t have any long-lasting effects. The symptoms usually wear off within 24 hours but that depends on how much the pet ate.