Police sources say evidence suggests Empire star Jussie Smollett orchestrated attack

National and World
Jussie_Smollett-Profile_57648-159532.jpg87909235

FILE – In this May 20, 2016 file photo, actor and singer Jussie Smollett attends the “Empire” FYC Event in Los Angeles. Chicago police say they’re interviewing two “persons of interest” who surveillance photos show were in the downtown area where Smollett says he was attacked last month. A police spokesman said Thursday the two […]

Police are now saying they believe the recent attack against Empire star Jussie Smollet was orchestrated by himself.

According to CNN, two law enforcement sources have reported they have knowledge of the investigation and believe Smollet orchestrated the assault. 

On Wednesday, two brothers were released without charges after new evidence was discovered. 

The brothers were originally detained and accused of assaulting Smollet. 

Smollet gave police a detailed account of the assault, stating two men yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him. He also said one attacker put a rope around his neck and poured some type of chemical substance on him.

CNN reports that the sources told them the record now shows that the brothers purchased that rope at an Ace Hardware store in Chicago.

During an interview with Good Morning America, Smollet expressed frustration with feeling like he wasn’t believed.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.