(WKBN) – As we get closer and closer to flu season, Mahoning County Public Health has announced it will be holding several flu shot clinics around the county.
The clinics start on Friday, September 29 at the Southern Park Mall and Austintown Senior Center and will happen multiple times a week at various locations through Thursday, November 2.
No appointments are needed, and your insurance will be billed for the shot.
Who should receive a flu shot based on the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) recommendations?
- Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine every season
- People at high risk of developing flu-related complications:
- Children ages 6 months to 5 years old
- Adults 50 years of age and older
- Pregnant women and women up to 2 weeks postpartum
- Residents of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- Chronic medical conditions such as asthma, COPD, cystic fibrosis, heart disease, blood disorders, diabetes, extreme obesity, kidney, liver, or endocrine disorders, weakened immune systems due to medications and/or diseases such as cancer, HIV or AIDS, or medications such as chronic steroid use or long-term aspirin use in people younger than 19 years of age
How do you obtain a flu shot at a Mahoning County Public Health clinic?
- Just walk in, no appointment is necessary
- Bring insurance cards, s driver’s license, Medicaid, and Medicare cards so the cost of the vaccine can be billed; most private insurances are accepted.
- Mahoning County Public Health is a Vaccines for Children Program Provider and will have limited opportunities for children who are uninsured or underinsured to receive the vaccine free of charge.
Available flu vaccines:
- Ages 6 months and up – Quadrivalent (4 flu virus strains)
- Ages 65 years and older -High dose quadrivalent (4 flu virus strains)
- Ages 18 years and older- Egg free (cell based) quadrivalent (4 flu virus strains)
Here is the full list of dates and locations:
- Friday, September 29, 9-11 a.m.: Southern Park Mall-Center Court, 7401 Market St. and 9-11 a.m.: Austintown Senior Center, 112 Westchester Dr.
- Wednesday, October 4, 10 a.m. – noon: Boardman United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall, 6809 Market St. and 2-5 p.m.: Canfield United Methodist Church 27 South Broad St.
- Thursday, October 5, 10 a.m. -6 p.m.: Mahoning County Public Health, 50 Westchester Dr. Youngstown, Ohio 44515
- Friday, October 6, 2:30-5:30 p.m.: Beaver Township Woodworth Park 225 Warren Ave. Poland, OH
- Friday, October 13, 9-11 a.m.: Southern Park Mall-Center Court, 7401 Market St., and 9 a.m. – noon at Berlin Township Building Weidemier House, 15823 Akron-Canfield Rd., Berlin Center, OH
- Wednesday, October 18, 1-4 p.m.: Struthers Mauthe Park, 156 Smithfield St.
- Tuesday, October 24, 2-5 p.m.: Poland Township Administration Building, 3339 Dobbins Rd.
- Wednesday, October 25, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. Village of Sebring Administration Building 135 E. Ohio Ave. Sebring, Ohio 44672
- Thursday, October 26, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.: Mahoning County Public Health, 50 Westchester Drive Youngstown, Ohio
- Wednesday, November 1, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Boardman Township Building, 8299 Market St.
- Thursday, November 2, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.: Mahoning County Public Health, 50 Westchester Drive Youngstown, OH