YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – What was St. Columba Parish became St. Columba Cathedral in 1943, when the Youngstown Catholic Diocese was formed.
The church was located on Wood Street, overseeing downtown Youngstown.
On Sept. 2, 1954, a lightning strike caught the cathedral on fire. It burned throughout the night, the roof eventually collapsing inside the church.
In the days that followed, pictures of the rubble were taken, showing that not much was left of the church.
It was quickly decided that a new church would be built, and in 1958 a new St. Columba Cathedral opened and continues to serve the diocese today.