LEAVITTSBURG, Ohio (WKBN) – Fire investigators believe a heat lamp could be to blame for a garage fire in Leavittsburg Sunday night.

The Warren Township Fire Department was called out just before 11 p.m. Sunday for a detached garage fire in the 400 block of Burwell Road NW.

According to the department, the fire was controlled by 11:15 p.m. but not before several chickens and cats died in the fire.

No human injuries were reported.

Warren Township Fire Chief Joe Natali says a heat lamp was found in the area where the fire originated.

“If you are using heat lamps, plug them into an actual outlet. Don’t plug them into extension cords and definitely not power strips. They’re not designed to handle the kind of power that those things put out,” said Warren Township Fire Chief Joe Natali.

Natali says he believes the garage is a total loss.

Volunteers and off-duty personnel at mutual aid departments responded to assist as well as Warren Township’s off-duty and volunteer responders. The Champion Twp. Fire Department, Newton Falls Joint Fire District, Braceville Fire Department and Lordstown Fire Department all assisted on the scene.

Trumbull County Fire Investigation Unit is investigating the cause of the fire.