EAST PALESTINE, Ohio (WKBN) – The Red Cross is helping two men in East Palestine after a fire tore through their home.
Crews were called about 9 p.m. to the house along the 200 block of Park Avenue.
When firefighters arrived, there was heavy smoke and flames coming from the house.
The two men living in the house made it out safely and no injuries were reported.
According to a fire incident report, the men told firefighters that they were attempting to use a propane heater with a 100-pound tank in the living room when a leaky gas line caught fire after they lit the heater.
It only took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control but firefighters were on the scene until about 1 a.m.
New Waterford, Negley and Springfield Township assisted crews from East Palestine.
A preliminary damage estimate is set at over $59,000.