The Ohio Department of Education will hold their first regular meeting with Niles schools officials in April.
The Financial Planning and Supervision Commission will consist of the following members:
– Robert Foss, a designee for the superintendent of public instruction
– Barb Mattei-Smith, a designee for the director of budget management
– Father John-Michael Lavelle, Governor Mike Dewine’s designee
– Bob Swauger, mayor’s appointee
– Giovanne Merlo, superintendent’s appointee
The Auditor of State placed Niles City School District into fiscal emergency on February 26.
Since then, school officials have worked to identify cost-saving measures.
Several school levies have failed in the district which school official say is a contributing factor to the budget problems.
The meeting will take place at 5 p.m. April 1 at the Niles Schools’ administration building on N. Rhodes Avenue.