Investigators: Lit cigarette started fire at Broke Ass Phone in Howland

Local News

Fire investigators believe that a lit cigarette started a fire at Broke Ass Phone in Howland.

The siding at the cell phone repair shop on State Route 46 went up in flames on Monday afternoon, just before 1 p.m. 

Firefighters were able to quickly put it out.

Assistant Chief Jim Sapp said it appears that a discarded cigarette butt melted the ash container, causing fire to go underneath the siding.

Sapp said it’s important to make sure those butts are extinguished completely.

“Especially in this weather, when we’re talking about heat and humidity, and we’re talking about the drying conditions,” he said. “We haven’t had a whole lot or rain. Any discarded cigarette butts into debris, leaves, dry grass could become a problem.” 

Sapp estimates that the fire caused anywhere from $500 to $1,000 in damage. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WKBN.com