Gas leak forces evacuation in Boardman

Local News

A gas leak in Boardman Tuesday forced the evacuation of people who live nearby

BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – Crews replacing a utility pole in Boardman caused a gas leak Tuesday morning.

It forced the evacuation of businesses and people who live nearby.

According to the Boardman fire chief, the leak happened on Market Street, between Gertrude Avenue and Arlene Avenue.

Ohio Edison was working to replace the utility pole when crews hit a gas line.

“I didn’t really notice it at first. One of the customers pointed it out, and I looked over and you just saw a 25 to 30-foot geyser coming out of the ground, just a lot of noise,” said Jason Jakalavich, the manager of Midas, which is nearby.

Some of those nearby businesses reopened at 1:30 p.m.

There may be some traffic restrictions in the area as repairs are made.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WKBN.com