Firefighters believe gas grill lighter started fire at Girard home

Local News

Investigators said it looks like the lighter started a fire in the drawer of a kitchen island

Girard kitchen fire, Chippewa Court

WKBN

GIRARD, Ohio (WKBN) – Firefighters in Girard were able to quickly knock out a fire in a home kitchen Thursday afternoon.

It happened around 1 p.m. on Chippewa Court.

Firefighters said it looks like a gas grill lighter near the stove accidentally started the fire in the drawer of an island.

They estimated damage to cost anywhere from $10,000 to $15,000, though it was contained to the kitchen.

The family had working smoke detectors and everyone got out safely.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WKBN.com