SPRINGFIELD TWP., Ohio (WKBN) – Springfield Township’s fire chief says they’re still investigating what caused a fire at a home on Metz Road on Monday.

Firefighters were called to the 6100 block of Metz Rd. around 4:15 p.m. Monday.

A man told crews that he was seasoning his griddle Monday afternoon and put it back in the garage when he was done. A few hours later, he heard a noise and saw the garage was on fire.

Fire Chief Matt Gebhardt said that while the griddle is the last item that the man touched, they do not believe that is what caused the fire. They’re now investigating to determine whether a lithium battery charging station may be the cause.

At this time, the investigation is ongoing. The insurance company is also investigating.

Along with damage to the garage, there is also damage to parts of the roof and at least half of the house, which has been deemed non-livable for the time being.

No one was hurt, but one cat did die.

Kristen Hephner contributed to this report.