YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) — Firefighters battled a blaze at a 220 Pasadena Ave. home on Youngstown’s south side Wednesday.
The fire killed 11 dogs and 15 cats, investigators said.
It took fire crews almost three hours to get the flames under control. The home appears to be a total loss, but the people inside got out safely.
“I woke up to screaming on the front porch. It was my mother telling me our house had caught fire,” said Amber Carswell. “It is a total loss, everything we owned was in that house.”
Carswell was staying with her in-laws down the road when the fire broke out. She’s 13 weeks pregnant with her first child. She said her mom was at the store when the fire started and came home to flames tearing through the house.
“We lost all of our animals. There was nothing anyone could do to save the house,” Carswell said.
Firefighters let the house burn. There were too many things inside, that they couldn’t get around to fight the fire. The home was already damaged beyond repair when that decision was made.
Investigators said propane heaters that were being used in place of a broken furnace started the fire.
Carswell is asking for help. She and her husband lost everything, including most of their clothing and all of the things they’d saved for the baby.
“Everything we own was in that house,” she said. “My late stepfather’s belongings that we had left, anything that we had left of my nana’s is gone. If anyone could please help us get some things together, we would greatly appreciate it.”
She was so stunned, she didn’t have any information on how people could go about helping them.
Mahoning Youngstown Community Action Partnership offers a solution to heating issues. It’s called Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).
“Which allows customers to seek assistance, If they need to restore their services for gas and or electric or to get services turned on or prevent services from being disconnected,” said MYCAP spokesperson Joan Trgovac.
To apply, schedule an appointment by calling (330) 778-2992.
Furnace repair help is available and can cover up to $500. Once approved, the process moves along quickly.
“They can be serviced through a furnace repair person, maybe even that same day,” Trgovac said.
More stories from WKBN.com: