LIBERTY TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WKBN) – Firefighters were called to Kravitz Deli on Monday morning for a kitchen fire.

The grease fire was contained in the kitchen of the business on Belmont Avenue. One of the cooks was working when it started and began containing the fire before crews arrived.

Crews arrived on the scene around 6:45 a.m. Monday and said the quick response helped keep it contained.

“The quick response of the companies being able to get water on it and extinguish the fire in the ductwork is definitely a saving component to this building not getting any further fire damage,” said Liberty Fire Chief Doug Theobald.

Kravitz Deli was turned over to new owners earlier this year in April. The deli opened in 1939 and moved to Liberty in 1970.

Patty Rydarowicz, the mother of the owner, called the fire “heartbreaking” and “a little nerve-racking.” She said her son, Matthew, is shaken up but thankful.

“It feels great. It feels great. It could’ve been a lot worse,” she said.

Rydarowicz said the deli will remain closed until they can get the deli cleaned and free of smoke damage. The owners say they will let everyone know when they can open their doors once again.

Noelle Haynes contributed to this report.