BRISTOLVILLE, Ohio (WKBN) – A Bristol family will have to stay somewhere else until repairs are made to their home after a chimney fire spread to the attic.
The fire happened just before 10:40 a.m. Thursday in the 1900 block of Housel Craft Road.
Crews from the Bristol, Champion, Bazetta and Farmington fire departments all responded.
Bristol Fire Chief Steve Craiger said they were able to stop the fire with minimal damage to the living area, but there was damage to the attic space.
Crews believe that there was an obstruction in the chimney that caused the fire to spread to the attic area.
Craiger said a passerby spotted smoke coming from the roof and alerted the family about the fire.
“It was burning above the living space, and there was a lady upstairs, and there was somebody in the basement, but she wasn’t even aware of the fire until they stopped and told her,” he said.
Everyone including the family’s pets made it out safely.
The American Red Cross was contacted to help provide assistance.