YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) — Fire investigators said Thursday that a woman who was killed in a blaze Wednesday at her South Side home was filling a space heater with kerosene when flames broke out.
Fire Investigator Capt. Kurt Wright said the elderly woman who died was also a smoker. She was found on the first floor where the fire broke out.
The Mahoning County Coroner’s Office is expected to release the name of the victim. A cause of death is pending, but the fire that broke out about 6:15 p.m. at her home in the 300 block of East Auburndale is being ruled accidental.
Wright said the woman had two kerosene space heaters in the home, as well as a five-gallon can of kerosene. The woman has not had gas in the home since 2008, Wright said.
This is the second fatal fire in the city in less than a week. A man was killed in a house fire early Friday morning on Oklahoma Avenue. He has been identified as 58-year-old Miles Hogan.
Wright said finding a cause for that fire will be difficult because of the deteriorating conditions of the home before the fire, which led to the second floor collapsing on the first floor. A cause of death is also pending in that fire.
Don’t miss the next breaking news story. Sign up for breaking news email alerts below.
These are the first fatal fires in the city this year. Wright said the city did not have a fatal fire last year or in 2020.
Ryan Hellock and Jacob Thompson contributed to this report.