2 die in Niles house fire

Local News

NILES, Ohio (WKBN) – The Niles fire chief has confirmed that two people died in a fire early Monday.

More information on their identities could be released Tuesday afternoon after their autopsies. 

Crews were called just after 4 a.m. to a house in the 300 block of Scott Avenue.

When firefighters got there, flames were shooting from an upstairs window.

The chief said four people were in the house at the time of the fire. Two people were taken to the hospital. 

There were also three pets in the house at the time of the fire. Two of them died, the chief said. 

The surviving dog, Bruno, was taken to a local animal hospital. He suffered burns to both corneas and is being treated for smoke inhalation in an oxygen chamber.

Dan Christner is the neighbor who drove Bruno to receive emergency veterinary care. The treatment Bruno needs will be expensive. 

When Jason Cooke of Healthy Hearts and Paws Project found out about the situation, he teamed up with Legacy Dog Rescue to help raise money to put toward veterinary bills. 

“I want something positive to come out of this and to try to save the life and we’ll do the best we can,” Cooke said. 

Cooke made a post on Facebook, stating that the community can donate to help Bruno at Girard MedVet or through PayPal at donations@healthyheartproject.org. 

The State Fire Marshal is investigating.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WKBN.com