NEWTON FALLS, Ohio (WKBN) – The family who lost their home to a devastating fire in Milton Township last month says their 13-year-old grandson Reily, who suffered from severe burns in the fire, is continuing to recover.
A cardboard box full of burned photo albums, a family bible and their daughter’s schoolwork — 35 years of irreplaceable memories — is all that was salvageable from the mobile home fire.
The Millers credit their 11-year-old Miniature Schnauzer Molly with saving their lives. They say if it wasn’t for her waking them up, this story would be a lot more devastating.
“The smoke was so thick by the time we were awakened that as soon as we stood up we were choking,” said Brenda Miller.
“Molly, bless her heart. She shot right down the hallway. She wasn’t afraid of the heat, of the fire. She went straight to my grandson,” said Dwain Miller.
Molly, who was expecting a litter of five puppies, was found not far from the doorway the next day. Unfortunately, she did not survive.
The fire department was unable to determine a cause.
If you would like to help the Millers, they ask that you send any donations to the General Assembly Church of God on E. River Road in Newton Falls.