JobsNOW: Ohio Star Forge looks for entry-level workers


JobsNow has details on entry-level work in Trumbull County.

Word of mouth has worked before to fill positions at Ohio Star Forge, but now it’s looking to find the best workers as the company keeps growing. 

Ohio Star Forge has made over a billion parts in 30 years.

It heats bar steel and then cuts it into smaller parts, which come off the line glowing.

The company is looking for entry-level workers who can prove themselves.

“So most people in entry-level jobs at Ohio Star Forge would entail material movement or inspection type job,” said Carl Paglia of Ohio Star Forge.

Any general industrial or mechanical experience can be helpful, or even math.

Ohio Star Forge does a lot of homegrown training because of the Hatebur. A machine it uses which is in very few places around the world, which helps Ohio Star Forge make a continuous lineup of products in various sizes, and not just in one or two sizes.

“It’s a very specialized product, it’s very high speed. That lends itself to automotive, particularly bearing and transmission components,” Paglia said.

That’s 80 percent of Ohio Star Forge’s work, while the other 20 percent is a range of industrial products — including agriculture, energy, and even heavy truck.

The company has tripled in size in 10 years.

“And by gaining new customers, new products, that only creates opportunity through the organization. That can result on people being able to bid into other jobs as they advance through the organization,” Paglia said. 

It drives excellence and creates an environment for staying on the job. The average tenure is over 10 years among the 100 plus workers and should make new applicants feel more comfortable in today’s environment of plant closings.

“How many different manufacturing and steel-related facilities have you seen close down? That’s not going to be us. That’s not what we want to be. We want to stay successful for decades to come and hopefully for generations,” Paglia said.

To apply for a position at Ohio Star Forge, go to the Ohio Means Jobs office in Trumbull County.  It’s at 280 North Park Ave. in Warren.

Looking for another segment? View all JobsNOW segments

JobsNOW is a joint initiative between WKBN and the Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on