DELAWARE, Ohio (WJW)– An Elyria man accidentally shot and killed his son while hunting in central Ohio earlier this month.
It happened just before 6 p.m. on Dec. 2 on Pollock Road in Delaware. The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office said the 63-year-old father had been hunting with friends and his son, 28-year-old Andrew Smith, just arrived when the shooting occurred.
The investigation is ongoing, but at this time, the sheriff’s office is not filing charges.
Smith was a firefighter with the Oberlin Fire Department from October 2018 to April 2019.
“AJ was a firefighter that every department would hope to hire. He was a gifted athlete, full of ambition with great potential. Our condolences goes out to his family and friends,” the department said.
According to the sheriff’s office, Smith, an Elyria native, was living in Columbus.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- McConnell sets steals mark, Pacers rally past Cavs 114-111
- Rooster painting can now begin as sponsors pick designs for Canfield Fair art project
- McDonald and Kennedy vying for district crown on Friday’s Game of the Week
- Know this nose? Mystery snout shows up in Cleveland
- Highlights: South Range comes up one point short in District Semifinals