(WKBN) – Name: Steve Mientkiewicz
City of Residence: Niles
Party Affiliation: Democrat
Office Desired: Mayor
Facebook: Steve Mientkiewicz – Niles Mayor
Why should you be elected
I was previously elected to two terms on Niles City Council. I have served as Mayor since August 1, 2018. I have led the city out of fiscal emergency with strong oversight of tax-payer dollars and with the development of an approved fiscal recovery plan, which addresses capital needs and shows a positive forecast. I have brought a business-like structure to city hall to allow for more efficient operations. I hold myself and out conmunity to a higher standard through professionalism, positivity and vision. I am open, honest, and accessible with the residents of Niles.
Top three priorities
1) Fiscal responsibility – continuing to be financially responsible with public funds. Budget accordingly to meet departmental needs.
2) Blight removal – creation of a 30k demolition fund to eliminated blighted homes and condemned buildings throughout town, in an effort to stabilize our neighborhoods.
3) Community reinvestment – creation of a street resurfacing program that consists of more than 700k worth of new streets, fire hydrant replacement program that addresses inoperable hydrants throughout town, waterline/sewer replacement by earmarking grant-matching funds, GIS mapping of underground utilities, hydrants and valves to meet EPA requirements and allow for more efficient operations by partnering with YSU. A savings of roughly 40k in taxpayer dollars.
• Graduate of Niles McKinley in 2002, YSU in 2007 with a degree in Middle Childhood education, and KSU in 2011 with a masters degree in Education Administration.
• Former Niles precinct committman and 2nd ward councilman.
• Currently serving as Mayor of Niles.
• Former teacher at YSU’s Rich Center for Autism, where I taught students with ASD.
• Proud husband and father of two children.