*Watch Gov. DeWine’s latest update on the pandemic above.*
There have been 166,102 total confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19 and 4,994 deaths in the state since the pandemic began. It’s presumed that 141,642 have recovered.
In the last 24 hours, 1,840 cases were reported, which is the highest count on record, along with 11 additional deaths.
Governor DeWine expressed concern about the recent spike in cases during his coronavirus briefing on Thursday.
He attributes the rise to lax social distancing, not enough people wearing masks and refusal to follow quarantine and isolation guidelines.
“There’s also increased spread among families and households in churches and after-school activities and sports. We’ve seen these gatherings many times, they’re turning into outbreaks,” said Gov. DeWine.
More headlines from WKBN:
- Coronavirus vaccine: When will it be ready and will it be safe?
- Big 22 Contender: Get to know Wilmington’s Weston Phanco
- James Randi, dazzling magician and skeptic, dies at 92
- Warming into the 70’s Thursday
- Big 22 Contender: Get to know Poland’s Nate Williams