COLUMBUS (WCMH) — The Ohio Department of Health has released the latest number of COVID-19 cases in the state.
As of Friday, September 4, a total of 128,444(+1,332) cases have been reported in Ohio since the pandemic began, leading to 4,248 (+22) deaths and 13,731 (+68) hospitalizations. There are presumed 107,083 recovered cases in the state.
The Department of Health adds the data when it is informed of a case or death. The information is backdated to the actual date the person started exhibiting symptoms or the date the person died.
The governor opened Thursday’s press conference talking about how Friday marks six months since the decision to cancel spectators attending the Arnold Sports Expo.
He says we have learned a lot about the virus since then and although we’ve experienced great tragedy, “Ohioans have done pretty well through out this in the sense of stepping up.”
DeWine urged Ohioans to be careful with Labor Day approaching. The White House expressed concern about the spread of the virus during the holiday weekend.
“What we do this weekend will really determine what our fall is going to look like,” said DeWine.
The governor shared a chart showing a sharp rise in cases among the 18-22 age group as college goes back in session. He said the concern isn’t about those students getting very sick, but their ability to spread the disease.
The governor also announced an effort to monitor wastewater and detect levels of COVID-19 before outbreaks become apparent. There are currently 22 active sampling sites, and others are being added.
Governor DeWine says today they are issuing an order for K-12 schools that requires schools to notify parents/public about a positive COVID-19 test. It will begin September 8. It also creates a weekly reporting system that was announced last week.