Children control grease fire in Calcutta

News

CALCUTTA, Ohio (WKBN) – Two quick-thinking children may have saved their home from burning down over the weekend in Columbiana County.

Calcutta firefighters were called to South Hollywood Drive Saturday for a stove fire that was already extinguished.

According to the Morning Journal, a 15-year-old girl was cooking eggs when the grease flashed, sending a fireball about three feet in the air.

The fireball ignited the overhead cabinets and the microwave vent, which melted and dripped onto the fire, making it larger.

The girl panicked and started to run, but her 11-year-old brother ran into the kitchen, splashed water onto the flames, putting it out.

No one was hurt.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WKBN.com