Canfield Fair may be canceled, but you can still support 4-H students

Canfield Fair

There will be an online livestock auction Thursday and Friday

CANFIELD, Ohio (WKBN) – The Canfield Fair may have been canceled this year due to COVID-19, but 4-H’s Junior Fair is still happening.

With social distancing, masks and other precautions in effect, the grounds will only be open to family and those registered to bid at the auctions.

The online livestock auction will be open for bidding starting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday. The live auction will be available to those who register to watch or bid at canfieldfair.hibid.com.

Goats, hogs, rabbits and lambs will be on the auction block through Thursday. Other animals will be available for auction Friday starting at 5:30 p.m.

The Junior Fair, which kicked off Tuesday, is closed to the public this year.

It’s not unusual to see young people bringing their animals to the Canfield Fairgrounds the Tuesday before Labor Day. What is different is there aren’t that many other people there.

“There’s approximately 700 kids, youth, and some of those youth will have three or four animals,” said Fair Board President Ward Campbell.

Jackson-Milton senior Frank Prozy says if this year’s event had been canceled, he’d be losing out on money he could use for college.

“I love this. I have been doing it ever since I was able to, like 9 years old, I’ve been showing animals. Now, I’m 17 and the last year. I would have been heartbroken,” Prozy said.

Katie Janik from Berlin Township agrees. She said kids put a lot of work into raising animals and not having a Junior Fair this year would have been devastating.

“I would have been mad because I and my family spent money on food for the pig and everything just get her here. That would have been a waste,” she said.

To register to bid at auction and potentially buy at the Junior Fair zales, call Mary Kay Shotts at 330-506-9264 for information on market livestock or fudge or Brian Beck at 330-692-6922 for information on dairy.

The Canfield Fair’s regular website will offer recorded videos and other items to watch during the course of the fair at canfieldfair.com.

More stories from WKBN.com:

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WKBN.com