If you are searching for a good, protein-based snack, paleo brownies are positively perfect. Quick, easy and delicious, these tasty bites are just the thing for a post-workout boost or an after-dinner dessert.
Speaking of paleo, what is this prehistoric bandwagon diet all about?
Simply this: if your ancestors didn’t eat it, then you shouldn’t either. We aren’t talking about Great Uncle Jasper, or Great-great Grandmother Ruby, we are talking caveman ancestors.
This means you can say farewell to refined sugars, grains, dairy and any other agricultural-era foods.
We are talking straight-up hunter and gatherer cuisine.
Honestly, there is a lot to be said of a raw foods diet, and I'm drawn to many of the recipes. Since we are mostly gluten-free in our household, paleo recipes fit well within our own meal plan. Which makes these dark chocolate paleo brownies just the ticket for the ol' cookie jar.
Dark Chocolate Paleo Brownies
Makes 24 1×1 inch brownies
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups raw almonds, walnuts or cashews (I did a mixture)
- 1 ½ cups dried fruit – dates, cherries or raisins (or a mixture)
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbs. honey or agave
- Extra shredded coconut
- Food processor
- Soak your dried fruit in warm water to soften it up.
- While your fruit soaks, pulse your coconut for about 30 seconds in your food processor. Add your nuts and pulse until it looks like a fine meal. Add cocoa, pulse again. Make sure not to overdo it, or it will turn into a chocolatey nut spread. (You can save that for another recipe!)
- Drain your fruit and add to your food processor with the chocolatey coconutty mixture. Pulse until just incorporated.
- Once blended well, add vanilla. Slowly add honey or other sweetener until the mixture comes together in a ball, pulling away from the sides.
- Press dough into a square about 1-inch thick on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Spread your extra coconut out onto a clean surface. Once the brownies have stiffened up, flip them over onto your extra coconut and press down. Cut into squares or use cookie cutters for fun shapes.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Can freeze for up to 3 months.
Twinkle VanWinkle has more than 20 years of professional cooking under her apron strings, feeding thousands of friends, family and other folks. She baked apple pies for the "Oprah Winfrey Show" and has appeared on Food Network’s "The Best Of…" Along with producing dynamic lifestyle content for LIN Media, she is a mother, urban gardener, chef, musician and social media fanatic.
Police in Warren are investigating an armed robbery that happened at the corner of Vine Avenue and Atlantic Street on Sunday night.
Friends and family of Dr. Steven Frank held a fundraiser to raise money for treatment needed to fight renal cancer.
A Columbiana County Sheriff's deputy is a week and a half away from dropping off Christmas toys at Akron Children's hospital, but so far there is not one toy in the donation boxes.
The Youngstown Fire Department fought three house fires early Sunday morning.
Winter Weather Advisories are in effect through Monday morning. Light freezing rain or freezing drizzle is possible overnight Sunday into Monday.
Hakeem Henderson is facing two counts of aggravated murder of Adam Christian and Raymond Hayes in November 2011.
The concert at Powers Auditorium on Sunday afternoon included more than 350 young musicians and singers.
UAW Local 1112 held its annual Children's Christmas party on Sunday.
Over 100 families enjoyed the Santaland Brunch on Sunday at Vernon's Café, which raises money to help the Niles Community Service Food Bank.
St. Stanislaus Church held a special mass on Sunday to mark the 72nd anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
An East Liverpool police officer preparing to tow an illegally licensed vehicle Friday found something more than he expected: a box of holiday-themed crack cocaine.
Christmas officially kicked off Saturday in the city of Youngstown.
A new burger was crowned "king" of the Mahoning Valley Saturday.
A fashion show was held in Warren Saturday to help children who are living in a shelter.
Habitat for Humanity of Mahoning County dedicated its 39th house on Saturday. It's been a long journey to get to this day, including the cleanup after vandals and thieves threatened the project.
Eastern Gateway Community College in Youngstown held an open house Saturday. The event is just one of many the school will be hosting to attract more students.