LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mark Wahlberg’s true-crime romp “Pain & Gain” led the domestic box office with $20.2 million over a quiet weekend that preceded the start of Hollywood’s summer blockbuster season.
Summer’s first big debut, “Iron Man 3,” arrives in U.S. theaters Friday, with anticipation stoked by an overseas debut a week earlier in 42 markets that brought in nearly $200 million through the weekend.
The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theaters Friday through Sunday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theater locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by Hollywood.com are:
1. “Pain & Gain,” Paramount, $20,244,505, 3,277 locations, $6,178 average, $20,244,505, one week.
2. “Oblivion,” Universal, $17,803,425, 3,792 locations, $4,695 average, $65,090,925, two weeks.
3. “42,” Warner Bros., $10,657,443, 3,405 locations, $3,130 average, $69,011,815, three weeks.
4. “The Big Wedding,” Lionsgate, $7,591,663, 2,633 locations, $2,883 average, $7,591,663, one week.
5. “The Croods,” Fox, $6,726,918, 3,283 locations, $2,049 average, $163,151,701, six weeks.
6. “G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” Paramount, $3,701,825, 2,707 locations, $1,368 average, $116,477,968, five weeks.
7. “Scary Movie 5,” Weinstein Co., $3,434,451, 2,733 locations, $1,257 average, $27,471,387, three weeks.
8. “Olympus Has Fallen,” FilmDistrict, $2,863,345, 2,334 locations, $1,227 average, $93,171,817, six weeks.
9. “The Place Beyond the Pines,” Focus, $2,699,140, 1,584 locations, $1,704 average, $16,204,863, five weeks.
10. “Jurassic Park” in 3-D, Universal, $2,374,685, 1,848 locations, $1,285 average, $42,065,060, four weeks.
11. “Mud,” Roadside Attractions, $2,215,460, 363 locations, $6,103 average, $2,215,460, one week.
12. “Evil Dead,” Sony, $1,986,168, 2,186 locations, $909 average, $51,853,926, four weeks.
13. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” Disney, $1,810,606, 1,610 locations, $1,125 average, $226,258,745, eight weeks.
14. “The Company You Keep,” Sony Pictures Classics, $1,152,905, 807 locations, $1,429 average, $2,251,050, four weeks.
15. “Tyler Perry’s Temptation,” Lionsgate, $1,096,599, 942 locations, $1,164 average, $50,630,922, five weeks.
16. “Filly Brown,” Lionsgate, $557,850, 259 locations, $2,154 average, $2,302,941, two weeks.
17. “Home Run,” IDP/Samuel Goldwyn Films, $460,871, 370 locations, $1,246 average, $2,290,171, two weeks.
18. “Jack the Giant Slayer,” Warner Bros., $420,831, 365 locations, $1,153 average, $63,733,938, nine weeks.
19. “The Host,” Open Road Films, $379,907, 611 locations, $622 average, $25,866,993, five weeks.
20. “Identity Thief,” Universal, $350,610, 425 locations, $825 average, $133,160,990, 12 weeks.
Universal and Focus are owned by NBC Universal, a unit of Comcast Corp.; Sony, Columbia, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp.; Paramount is owned by Viacom Inc.; Disney, Pixar and Marvel are owned by The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is owned by Filmyard Holdings LLC; 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros. and New Line are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a group of former creditors including Highland Capital, Anchorage Advisors and Carl Icahn; Lionsgate is owned by Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.; IFC is owned by AMC Networks Inc.; Rogue is owned by Relativity Media LLC.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
UPDATE: A shooting suspect, and possibly two suspects, managed to get away from police after a shooting just before 10 p.m. Monday.
Farmers enrolled in Ohio's Current Agricultural Use Valuation program are facing a tax hike as part of a re-evaluation process of the rates used to calculate their property values.
Abundant Life Fellowship Church in New Waterford held its fifth annual foster appreciation dinner Monday night to thank all foster parents for all they do.
The U.S. government is no longer part owner of General Motors.
A Hanoverton woman was sentenced Monday in federal court to house arrest and probation for her role in a marijuana distribution ring.
A Pennsylvania man remains at the Mahoning County Jail after New Middletown police said he threatened a woman with a stun gun during a domestic argument late Sunday night.
Youngstown Fire Chief John O'Neill wants to start a Junior Firefighter Program targeting young people between the ages of 12 and 18.
A street that was closed so crews could tear down an old theater in Youngstown has reopened.
State Sen. Joe Schiavoni, D-Boardman, is ringing in the holiday season by helping out the Salvation Army.
Four teachers in the Mahoning and Shenango Valleys are about to get $500 each to help in their classrooms.
Three new full-time officers were sworn in Monday evening during the Austintown Township trustees meeting.
Trial began Monday afternoon for the first of four alleged accomplices in a deadly home invasion in Niles.
There may be some traffic delays in Warren as crews begin to tear down a plant on the west side.
Police in Weathersfield said a pedestrian involved in an accident turned out to be the suspect in two burglaries in the area.
For the second time in six years, a mold problem has forced a Mercer County district court to relocate.
A fast moving weather system will bring light snow to the area early Tuesday.